21 June, 2011

From the archives: Scoundrel! (...revisiting a brief stage in the life of Caitlin R., born on this day, June 21, 1989...)



Monday, October 18, 1999: We do a nice theatrical version of the Princess and the Pea.  Caitlin plays the pea.  


Saturday, Jan. 8, 2000: We catch Caitlin sneaking some fudge.  “Well, can I have some?”  “Not now you can't,” I say.  A (very) few minutes later, we catch Caitlin stealing some fudge.

Sunday, April 2, 2000: As the AM LDS General Conference session broadcast begins Caitlin makes a tender observation.  “They always show flowers at the beginning.  I hate that.”  


Saturday, June 17, 2000: We come home from a meeting to find the remains of one of the worst babysitting jobs in history.   

“Caitlin, how did Matty get that big bruise on his forehead?” 

“Well, he might have fallen on the driveway.” 

“He might have fallen on the driveway?” 

“Yeah, but I'm not sure.  I didn’t see it happen…”  

Sarah, who is no tattletale, but who has an expression on her face suggesting that something isn't quite right with the world, pulls me aside to offer another version of the story.  I try again.  

“Caitlin, were you doubling Matty over by the middle school?”  (She’d done it earlier in the day, and had been firmly told not to.) 

Silence. 

“Did he fall off the bike?”  Grudgingly, an affirmative nod. 

“How?” 

“Well, my hands kind of slipped off the handlebars...”   

 “You mean you were riding with no hands while doubling a two-year-old?!”  I guess she’s sheepish!  

I should note that Caitlin herself got somewhat scraped, and had the decency not to whine about it.  Apparently the little bruiser only cried for thirty seconds, too.  So everyone’s alive, which is a blessing, and this will be a good story.  But wait—Sharon comes out of the bedroom holding the shattered pieces of that that cool black Venetian bowl.  There were slivers on the bed, which made us wonder how what happened.  Was Matty standing there banging on the thing until it was smashed to smithereens?  Once again, babysitting, anyone? 



Saturday, January 20, 2001: Spence is crying.  Matt (two-and-a-half) approaches Caitlin threateningly.  “What did you do to my brother?”  

Tuesday, January 23, 2001: Back from meetings to find that the girls have been playing harmoniously.  But there are always mishaps.  “Caitlin made me cough because she sat on me and farted and I threw up.”   


 Saturday, May 12, 2001: On the way to piano lessons, we stop behind some guy primping in front of his rear view mirror.  Caitlin gives him a double thumbs-up sign.  We have a nice two-vehicle laugh...