07 August, 2011

What Drew has been up to lately (sent from Australia/NZ; stated times MST)

Sent:  Saturday, July 09, 2011 3:50 PM




Parents,

I am here in one piece. I did not get a bloodclot on the plane.  It is very humid and the birds are very loud.  Just like the students.

Mum, is it feasible to cook egg foo yung and fried rice for 24 people?  If so, how much of everything would I have to buy?  Turns out, people actually planned the meals they were supposed to prepare.  Could you also give suggestions for good and easy breakfasts and lunches for 24 people?  Not pancakes, that's already been taken.  ALSO, could you look on the itinerary and tell me what day I'm the head cook?  The print is small, so put your glasses on.  Thank you for helping my non-preparedness.  Could you email me back soon, before I leave this place with computers?

Dad, you don't cook, so you're of no help.

I'm about to go to church in an hour, so we'll see how that goes.  Most of the kids played a get to know you game last night, but I was too tired and went to bed.  Off to a good start.  We also had fish and chips, which were pretty good.
 
P.S. They say they like my hair, but I think they're actually scared of it. 


P.P.S. There are digestives here.

Drew

Sent:  Sunday, July 10, 2011 1:51 AM



Ma,

Alas, we are having Hawaiian haystacks this very night, so I can't do that.  We also had french toast this morning, so bother that as well.  Breakfast burritos and baked potatoes should work though.  We had philly cheese steak sandwiches for lunch.  Just thought I'd let you know what I was eating.

Church was good.  There was a loud Dutch lady in relief society.  The teacher in the YSA class that they set up for us told us a story he heard about a girls' camp testimony meeting in Salt Lake.  It was raining very hard at this, apparently, so they prayed for it to stop.  They looked up at the stormy sky and lo, a host of angels was above them, holding heavenly umbrellas or something.  I was unconvinced of this story's authenticity.

After church, we went to a botanical gardens where we saw a spider that was bigger than my own right hand. 

Choloma, Cortés, Honduras, 1983

Mercedes

Sent:   Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:47 AM



Parents,

It is Tuesday night and we just got back from the Great Barrier Reef.  Body fluids were involved.  High stress night diving was also involved, followed by more body fluids.  Remind me to tell you about it. 


We are just about to go and see Harry Potter 7.2, so I must go.  I just wanted to let you know that I wasn't left on the reef or anything.

Drew

Sent:   Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:36 AM



Parents,

Last e-mail I sent said it was Tuesday night.  That e-mail was wrong, because it was Wednesday night when I sent it, which means that it Thursday night right now.  The ocean confused me.

Today is our last day in Cairns.  We went on a rainforest river cruise and saw some fat crocodiles. They didn't move.  Our guide was an old man from Texas.

Dad, I think that you will be quite lost while watching Harry Potter 7.
Mom, we ended up getting pizza and pop for my dinner.  So, balanced meals all around.
We're leaving for Alice Springs tomorrow, where it is apparently cold.  Also, I don't know how much access there is internet wise, so I might not send anything for a while.  Rest assured, however, I am alive.

Koalas smell bad,

Drew

Sent:  Friday, July 22, 2011 2:36 AM



Parents,

I have arrived in Sydney.


It has been pouring rain all day and continues to do so.  We decided to venture out anyway and split into smaller groups.  The group I was in was able to go to a few museums and get dinner before we started getting annoyed with each other.  Big cities and the world's most miserable weather will do that to you, I guess. 
Anyway, the city looks nice and the hostel is clean, so good times.

Drew

Sent:   Saturday, July 23, 2011 5:18 AM



Day 2 in Sydney.  We got rid of some of the more cumbersome members of yesterday's group, so today's activities were a lot more streamlined.  Also, it didn't rain as much, so that was nice.  We started by trying to find a market we had heard about.  Unfortunately, the market was closed.  However, on the way there, we ended up walking down what was quite literally the gayest street in Sydney, so all was not lost.  We found another market and bought a few things.  We then walked through the botanical gardens, where the trees were filled with giant bats.  We then went to the Art Gallery of New South Wales, which was neato, and then went to an exhibition of the world press photo award winners for 2010, which was also neato.  I then ate a kebab, which is coming back to haunt me as we speak. 


As it turns out, I am the only one who didn't feel like paying $60 for a rugby ticket.  So, while everyone went to the game, I went to see Tree of Life with a bunch of old people who I'm sure were contemplating their mortality or something.  Successful day all around.

Drew

Sent:  Friday, July 29, 2011 10:38 PM



Am in New Zealand.  Mother, we got back from our backpacking excursion yesterday.  10 miles in and 10 miles out.  It was very muddy and pretty and I only got 6 blisters.  Our director's wife gave a demonstration about peeing in the wilderness that was uncomfortable for everyone who watched. 


We went to the adventure center this morning.  Everything was very expensive, but I figured I had better participate in something.  Everyone else was doing the bungee jumping, so I joined in.  I wanted to go first so everyone would be amazed by my incredible dive technique, but I just ended up slipping off the wet platform and falling rather ungracefully.  Humpf.  It was fun though, and the cord didn't break.

All in all, I am having a good time and learning many things about how I get along with people in big groups.

Drew