20 June, 2012

From the archive; for, and of Caitlin Rory Duncan Miller, all grown-up; 6/21/89

Sunday, January 15, 2012: I to 1st ward, where my high council companion goes way over time, forcing me to cut my Japanese golfer joke.  The lads go to the old folks home, where Matt gives a nice talk about prayer.  I really like his writing, which is bold and confident, which features some fun flourishes, and is informed by simple, sincere conviction.  After that we all of us go to church, minus the absent, gallivanting Mum.  I was conscious and proud of that long bench. Ironically, this same gallivanting Mum gets sustained as the new ward Relief Society president.  Bishop John presents the names, and good old Caitlin stands up, in proxy, for her mother.  There am laughs, and confusion, in equal measure.  Helen Miner, using her Katharine Hepburn voice: “Am I mistaken, or did our Bishop just call your daughter as the new Relief Society president?!” 




Friday, February 3, 2012: Claire is up at Emilie’s, sleeping over.  We take the boys to the church for their winter camp out.  Matt is willing.  Spence is a-flutter.  What else is new?  We call Drew, who is going with Mary to Café Rio and a hockey game.  Sarah didn’t come down.  Caitlin is married.  We don’t have any kids!  We go to Ginger’s Café and eat several wholesome things.  They were okay.  I felt the lack of salt quite keenly. 


Sunday, April 1, 2012: Caitlin sends me a post about the care and keeping of introverts.   What does this have to do with me?



Sunday, May 27Fish again.  I love it.  Matt and Claire don’t.  Caitlin calls, and we have a terrific talk.  She’s been out fishing with Zebbie and Julie and Richard and a couple of Colton’s brothers.  She’s had steak three times this week.  They got some furniture.  Sounds pretty great, and she sounds quite happy.

Wednesday, May 30I think about the lack of Caitlin in our lives these days.  It’s not at all a matter of out of sight, out of mind.  But out of range does mean out of the loop, at least as far as the things we do and record.  I guess it’s like the beach, as per Grandpa A.: it’s time for Caitlin to start recording and living her own family life, about which we’ll be most and always interested.