21 August, 2012

From the archive: the first day of school


Monday, Aug. 24, 1998: Drew (seven years of age) to school.  She had her knapsack on forty minutes early.  First days are always exciting, for everybody.  

Hyndland Primary, where Caitlin started out (Glasgow)
Wednesday, August 25, 1999: It’s the first day of school.  The girls are up early (even Drew).  Sarah (six years of age) has her knapsack on forty-five minutes before time.  I get to take the girls down.  Caitlin (10) is cheerful and excited, with friends greeting her enthusiastically.  Drew is self-conscious, maybe happy, and she goes in on her very own.  Sarah’s doorway is littered with trembling children.  She marches right in, her teacher greets her by name, and she waves goodbye.  I feel pleased and proud and then, as I go down the hallway, just a bit sentimental!


Monday, August 21, 2000: Everyone starts school.  Caitlin (eleven years old) disappears into the middle school throngs.  In comparison, Brookside Elementary feels awfully small and quiet and friendly.   
 
Caitlin comes back from her first day in school with some new perspectives.  Some kid declared that if you wear any clothes this year that you had last year, then you’re a baby and a geek.  C. reports this as if read from Hansard and written in stone.  She bemoans her class placement, because the other class has the most popular girls in school (how do you establish things like that?), and so she feels like she is already shut out of the inner circles.  She’s so vulnerable to this first point, as evidence also by the full roaring Utah accent that she’s acquired.  As for popularity, may we be preserved therefrom.











Wednesday, August 22, 2001: The first day of school.  The kids are up and excited very early.  Drew (ten years old) is even singing songs.   

The kids come home.  Caitlin anticipates a pretty fun year.  A twelve year old’s perceptions are very unequivocal.  What she likes, she likes awfully.  What she doesn’t…

Cf. that song they sing together

Wednesday, August 25, 2004: Four kids, four new schools!  I take the boys, and it’s exciting.  I’m back from work by mid-afternoon, eagerly awaiting their reports.  First comes Sarah (11), so small, and smiling.  “It wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be.”  She’s gratified.  The middle school is full of her friends.  Drew (13) is philosophical.  “All my teachers are retards!”  Matt (6) just had a play day.  


Wednesday, August 23, 2006: Caitlin nearly had Mr. Hylton for chemistry today.  He has her come quietly back to her office.  “Caitlin, it’s a B-day today.” 

Track four, of course...













Since she’s in grade twelve, Caitlin says that she intends to go to every athletic event, all year through.  Of course, says Sharon.  I say it too, but really—I don’t understand these people!


Thursday, August 21, 2008: Matt (10) has some homework.  I send him off to do it, or at least to think about it.  A few minutes later I hear a crash and a tinkle.  I go to his room and find him on the brink of tears, standing in front of that mirror on their closet door, which is now all star’d and shattered.  “What happened, Matt?”  “Well, I was doing my homework, and I picked up my light sabre and stabbed myself.”  All things considered, I don’t see anything to get mad about here.  

The Man in the White Suit, Ealing, 1951