09 December, 2013

From the archives: the LDS/1st Presidency Fireside that was inappropriate for children


Sunday, December 3, 2006: We all cuddle up in front of the (LDS) First Presidency’s Christmas broadcast.  Elder Faust gives a lovely talk about poverty and charity and the Christmas season.  He tells a story about a needy family and their kindly neighbours.  While doing so he makes a comment that not very indirectly indicated the real identity of Santa Claus, and the real source of his gifts.  If you know what I mean.  That was careless!  My eyes tiptoe around the room.  Claire (5) is occupied, and Matt (8) wasn’t paying attention.  Spencer?  (10, and isn't it about time?)  I turn slowly to him, and find him staring widely at me.  Spence!  Dad! 


Murnau, 1926
How hilarious.  How mortifying!  I draw him to me, as if that means or helps anything.  After the broadcast ends I sneak him away, to see if I can damage control, or at least commiserate.  “Actually,” he says, “I already knew about it.”  I wonder how.  “Remember last year?”  Ah yes—12/24/05, late, but not late enough, in the evening.  Spencer had put the experience and image of his impostor father, stuffing Christmas stockings a little earlier than he should have, away.  A little later Spence comes back to elaborate further.  “I still do believe, you know.  Santa Claus was a real person, and the idea is true.”  Lovely boy!