14 February, 2011

From the archives


Saturday, Feb. 14, 1998: Drew is troubled.  “Everyone is driving around as if it wasn’t even Valentine’s Day.”  “Valentine’s day is meaningless,” I say knowingly.  “Dad!” says Sarah.  “Valentine’s Day means love.”  

 
Monday, February 14, 2000: Spencer prays: “Hea’nly Father.  Please bless me that I won’t die.  Please bless Mum that she won’t die.  Please bless Caitlin that she won’t die.  Please bless Matty that he won’t die.  Please bless Drew and Sarah that they won’t die.  Please bless Spencer that he won’t die.  I’m Spencer.”  (Did anyone notice that he forgot someone?)  


Thursday, February 14, 2002: I have an impression that I should get the kids some valentine attention, though I don’t normally approve of the day.  That’s why a poem in a home-made card would be helpful to them—they’d know that their pleasure takes precedence over my comfort.  Unfortunately I don’t get around to acting on that impression.  I guess my comfort takes precedence over their pleasure after all.

Wednesday, February 14, 2004: Parent/teacher conferences at the high school.  "I love having your daughters in class," says Mrs. __.  "Of course I'm on new medication, so I'm a bit confused right now..."

Monday, February 15, 1999: Nice night with the kids.  Guitars, Lincoln logs and playmobiles, Andersen and Aesop.  Caitlin works on her C.S. Lewis book report.  “Main characters are like the sun.  Everything revolves around them.”  That is a really good point.  We edge her just a little bit further; when you look at it from a certain angle the protagonist-centered universe is a bit like Ptolemy's model.  It's a rich idea, and has yielded poetical and aesthetical riches.  But what about Copernicus and Kepler?  Caitlin takes the hint and gallops ahead, noting that in Narnia, the main character is not necessarily the most important character.  “Hint: Aslan is not just a lion.”  


Sunday, February 15, 2004: Caitlin has observed something about Claire (two years old).  “She calls me he, and she calls Drew and Sarah she!”