13 November, 2012

Things that happened on the same day (Sunday, May 31, 1987)

From a young person's journal:

In preparation for some upcoming Church films that need people that pass for Lamanites, I accompanied the Motion Picture Studio's casting director up to Salt Lake to try to find and recruit some unsuspecting Latins. We ran to two chapels, then brought our sign-up lists back down to go to another couple of Provo wards.  This wasn't my preferred Sunday activity, but I guess it was legitimately Sabbath-like.

Typed in "reverent"

It was more Sabbath-like than my evening activity, anyway.  I really don't like sports on Sunday.  I don't indulge very often.  But this was game seven! Stanley Cup Finals!  A 1 AM rebroadcast just wouldn't have been the same. I must say that I felt a little bit nervous.  The Oilers have by far the best players. Anywhere.  They have by far the best team.  Ditto.  But those things were also true when they lost game five and game six, and after being up three games to one.  Anything can happen!

But anything didn't happen.  We happened: Edmonton 3, Philadelphia 1.  I watched the game over at Scott and Barb's.  The Flyers scored within the first two minutes of the first period, but after that, domination; it was never really in doubt, for all that Ron Hextall could do.  That Glenn Anderson goal, with less than three minutes left, was so exciting!  (Messier and Kurri got the other ones.  Four goal-posts!)  I kind of wish I was home to watch it all.  Still, I felt happy to be at home with my brother.  We're the best!


Ward prayer was at our place.  Was it just me, or was celebration in the air? Pres. Mark Sanderson started out by announcing our victory.  We gave Dave "Whisky" Thomas the Somerset #4 athlete of the month award ("it's so unexpected!").  It was just a nice time.  Edmonton!  Sharon Anderson sponsored another feed-my-ducks outing to Utah Lake, though it was delayed and kind of knocked off the rails by a call from Sharon's Mom, and by that nice girl who awkwardly dropped off some baking for me.  I felt embarrassed, for all of us.

Eventually we got away.  It was really windy out there.  Sharon's teenage roommate was along, acting like a teenager.  Who's Neil Young, indeed...

Like a hurricane...

This is the whole game, streaming on the Oilers' team site.  This post was motivated by the fact that the other night I had that book to work on, those Rank and Status letters to write, a bunch papers to correct, and always, things to read.  It was midnight; I could even have gone to bed.  Or, the internet.  It's this infernal NHL lockout....

¡CampeĆ³nes!

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=0&id=188824&cmpid=embed-share-video