03 December, 2012

Seasonal sentiments


Spencer was assigned to think of possible themes for next summer's youth conference.  This would be a good family activity, we thought.  We switched on the ol' automatic fire/place, threw on some Christmas tunes, and started looking through our various flagged scriptures.  These are drops in the bucket, or tips of the iceberg.  Precept, poetry, reproof, consolation—the Good Book is right!


Exodus 3: 5 ...Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground.

Leviticus 11: 44 For I am the Lord your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am holy...

Numbers 11: 29 And Moses said unto him, Enviest thou for my sake? would God that all the Lord’s people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them!

David Roberts, Mount Sinai, 1839
 
Joshua 1: 7 Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law … turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest.

Joshua 3:  5 And Joshua said unto the people, Sanctify yourselves: for to morrow the Lord will do wonders among you.

Joshua 24: 24 And the people said unto Joshua, The Lord our God will we serve, and his voice will we obey.


Ruth 2: 4 And, behold, Boaz came from Beth-lehem, and said unto the reapers, The Lord be with you. And they answered him, The Lord bless thee.

I Samuel 18: 14 And David behaved himself wisely in all his ways; and the Lord was with him.

I Kings, 3: 9 Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad…
I Kings 4: 29 And God gave Solomon wisdom and understanding exceeding much, and largeness of heart, even as the sand that is on the sea shore.


I Chron. 19: 13 Be of good courage … and let the Lord do that which is good in his sight.

I Chron. 22: 16 … Arise therefore, and be doing, and the Lord be with thee.

I Chron. 28: 20 ... Be strong and of good courage … fear not, nor be dismayed … for the Lord God ... will be with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee, until thou hast finished all the work for the service of the house of the Lord.

Wm. Blake and the armor of God: http://www.bartleby.com/235/284.html

Michelangelo, of course
Psalm 37: 3 Trust in the Lord, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.

Psalm 46: 10 Be still, and know that I am God… 

Psalm 51: 10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

Psalm 92:  1 It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and to sing praises unto thy name, O most High:
2 To shew forth thy lovingkindness in the morning, and thy faithfulness every night...

Psalm 116: 1 I love the Lord, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications.
2 Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live.

Psalm 150: 6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord.

Also, Dürer

Proverbs 4: 7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

Mark 11: 24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

Mark 12: 30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength...

Luke 1: 37 For with God nothing shall be impossible.


2 Cor. 8: 7 Therefore... abound in every thing, in faith, and utterance, and knowledge, and in all diligence, and in your love to us...

Phil. 2: 2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

2 John 6 6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments.